Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Chicken and Corn Muffins - #MuffinMonday



It's a special edition of Muffin Monday - Muffin-Wednesday-because-the-last Monday-fell-on-Christmas-Day. I think this was definitely my busiest Christmas season ever. After a marathon cooking session on Monday (I rarely cook so I am extreeeeeeemely slow in the kitchen), I was ready for bed by 7 pm. It was great to get almost 8 hours sleep and wake up on Boxing Day with very few pressing issues. And then I remembered that I hadn't made my muffins yet!

I chose ingredients that I knew would be left over from dinner - cured chicken (we don't eat ham anymore so we cure a chicken in just the same way we'd have made the ham; I miss ham!) and some corn. Truthfully, the leftover corn would come from me always holding back some corn to nibble on - even if my salad could do with more. And here's even more truth for you, I didn't even add the full amount of corn to the muffins and as I stole some to nibble again. I kinda like corn.

Chicken and Corn Muffins
Yield: 6 muffins

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons oil
heaping 1/4 cup cooked chicken, diced small
heaping 1/4 cup corn

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F and line 6 cups in a muffin tin with wrappers.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cayenne, garlic, and onion. In a separate container whisk together the egg yolk, milk, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently until most of the flour is moist. Next fold in the chicken and the corn.

Bake 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

Notes
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne does make these a little spicy. 
  • Some cumin would have been wonderful here but I forgot to add it.
  • Cheese would have been great here too.

Muffin Monday



post signature

4 comments:

  1. A spicy muffin is a good muffin. Add corn and I am totally in, Kelly!

    I'm guessing ham in Jamaica is imported and expensive. We have the same problem in Dubai. Smoked or cured chicken sounds like a great substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the addition of cayenne pepper. It always brings out the best in chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is like a little meal in a muffin. Cheese on top would be fabulous! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds Kelly....love using leftovers in muffins.

    ReplyDelete